Saturday, June 14, 2008

Huskies and Alasken Malamutes



The Siberian Husky was born to run. Beautiful, stylish, and graceful, he is a dog with endless energy and needs a huge amount of exercise. He loves to race, pull sleds or carts, or go backpacking. When I lived in Alaska, our family went to see the start of the Iditorod. Huskies or Alaskan Malamutes were pulling the sleds. It was amazing! The dogs were so exited to start, they were yelping and pulling at the harness and people had to hold them back or else the sled would take off before it was supposed to. Back then, I was not able to tell the difference between Alaskan Malamutes or Huskies. It's hard, I'm not sure if I can now, though I know the difference. It's that Malamutes are bigger than Huskies. Anyway, I remember a time when I was reading about Balto (he's a famous sled dog) and it was also telling about the dog teams back then. There happened to be more dogs in one dog team back then. So, guess what? The dog teams back then could go faster than horses! However, these dogs are not very obedient. They were simply not bred for that. In fact, they are stubborn, headstrong, all of that stuff. I once met a beautiful husky that refused to go "down"! And, if these dogs bred to run many miles without tiring, try imagining how much exercise they would need. The Alaskan Malamute was (of course) orgined in Alaska, while (I think) Huskies were first bred in Siberia.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Yeah! My updates on dog breeds is back!!! I haven't seen your posts in a very long while! I am excited to see you in a few days! Love you! Savannah & Chris are excited to see all of you, too!

Mindy said...

Dear Sierra,
I hope you have a good time at Point Banita. P.S. I love the dog!
Love,
Skyla