Saturday, December 29, 2007

Saint Bernard



To Mom

Saint Bernards take their name from Saint Bernard Hospice in the Swiss Alps, where Saint Bernards have been kept since the 17th century. There these massive dogs became famous for rescuing lost travelers or avalanche victims. Today the Saint is good natured, loves children, very protective, and a brilliant companion. But, his huge size can be a problem. This is a giant dog who simply just will not fit into very many peoples or families homes. He is expensive to feed, very messy (he sheds heavily and really knows how to drool), and like any other big-big dog, he needs plenty of training. The 1992 movie Beethoven, starring a cute Saint Bernard, tempted many families and people to buy a Saint without considering the commitment and jobs Saints need. This type of dog deserves better.
These dogs come in two coat varieties, rough and smooth. The first dogs had smooth coats, the rough coats were developed in the 19th century when a Newfoundland dog was introduced to combat in breeding.

7 comments:

JaNece said...

I love how you love dogs! We want to get one so bad, but I think we'll have to wait until Max is bigger. We played with a puppy the other day and he sort of tried squishing it! He is a bit rough with them. Anyway, we want a small dog that doesn't shed and is good with kids! Help us! :) Oh, and he has to be cute, too!

En-her-gy Girl said...

I think the Saint Bernard is probably my favorite. Want to know why? Because he's so good in the snow. There's something about an animal, person, or any kind of life that flourishes in harsh conditions. You know my favorite flower is Edelweiss (also from Switzerland!) because it grows out from under the snow. It is one of those "blooms in adversity" kinds of flowers. Cool!

Keep blogging. We want to see if there are any other dogs that come up that make me change my mind as to which one is my favorite. =)

Mindy said...

Thanks for doing one about my favorite dog! But I'm upset because now I don't know if I want to get one because of two big problems: Drool and hair. Unless it can sleep on your bed... (That makes me laugh thinking about a huge St. Bernard climbing up on your bunk bed...)

I love your blog sweetie!

Marianna said...

Wow, St. Bernards sound like really great dogs! But I don't think we could ever get one because Nathan is afraid of dogs, especially big dogs! We need a small, calm, really sweet dog that doesn't shed or bark too much that also loves kids. Is there such a thing?

You are such a good writer! Keep up the good work sweetie!

Tristen said...

Can I put in an order??? I would love to hear about Weimaraners... my mom has one and I think that they are such an interesting dog! He has TOO much energy but he's fun to play with. Only if you have time of course!!

Your blog is so great!!! Keep posting!

Sposita said...

I didn't know you liked dogs so much! I like dogs (well, friendly ones!). If we got to choose a type, I think we'd get a toy dog. What types are best for homes with small children?

Sierra said...

Sorry 'sposita. I looked for a toy breed on the internet that might be good with younger kids, but I read that no toy breed is recommeded for small children, just for older kids.